On Managing My Time

It seems a simple thing to write down a schedule and stick to it.  I made a nice little schedule to be sure I got everything done for BYU-Idaho.  See it really is a nice little schedule
What this nice little schedule doesn't account for is my 97-year-old mother.  She is self-sufficient, but not completely.  Between 7 and 8 a.m. I helped her three times, each time interrupting my thought process and requiring a reset.  They weren't big things, finding a cap to her pills that she dropped, reminding her how to use her new hair product, and then later taking the spray bottle for the new hair product and pumping all the air out until it actually would spray.

Something else this nice little schedule doesn't account for is my sweet Tarzan who called me during my 8:00 hour to discuss finances.  This caused an interruption of thought and required a reset as well.

And then there are the dogs.  They had cornered some little creature and were actively trying to "get" it from under the electric lawnmower.  Fearing they would destroy the lawnmower, I went out and set the little guy free.

I decided a better way for me might be to make a list of tasks and prioritize them.  That way, when I get time to work on my schedule, I can start at the top and work down.

Using this list I had better success at accomplishing what is important.  I completed 1, 4, 7, and 8 before going to work.  Now that I have listed my priorities, I can be sure I get everything important done before the end of the day.

Daily:

  1. Say my prayers
  2. Visit with Tarzan before he goes to work
  3. Study the scriptures
  4. Participate in the Discussion Board
  5. Email
  6. Grading
  7. Listen to Inspirational talks while I get ready for the day
  8. Breakfast
  9. Spend time with Mom-coordinate with sister
  10. Lunch, Dinner
  11. Spend time with Tarzan
Weekly:
  1. TGL responsibilities
  2. Visit someone in need
  3. Extra study for Sunday School lesson
  4. Read for enjoyment
  5. Crochet


I think I'll try that for a week and see if I do better.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holey Joes--Tuesday Tip

WORD: The Home Tab/Ribbon